Monday, July 6, 2009

Update: Yaese Town & Preparations!

if you are receiving this in an email, don't be alarmed. I added you to the automatic update list because I thought you would be interested. If you do not want to receive these blog updates, just reply and let me know. Thanks!

I finally found out more information about my placement in Japan two weeks ago, but have been so incredibly busy since then that I haven't been able to update my blog about it. =P

So, since this is the first night in I have had in weeks, I thought I would give you an update. However, I am a little worn out--so I will make it brief and in list-form. :)

-I will be teaching at a high school (which has views of the ocean. yes.)

-My high school and apartment are located in Yaese (of which there is very little information available but I found some gorgeous photos which I would post if I had more time :P). Yaese is a rural town in the southern section of Okinawa Island.

-My apartment overlooks sugar cane fields, is larger than most Japanese apartments, includes a washer and a parking spot (yay!), and is perfectly located: 30 minutes from the city/international airport, 15 minutes from the beach. Perfection.

-I will be buying a 95 Toyota Corolla from my successor because that is the only convenient means of transportation to and from school, etc. My first car! And I have to learn how to drive on the other side of the road. :-)

-I am one of three "JET's" (what they call those of us who are teaching as a part of the program I am in... I should explain more about that sometime) at my high school: another English JET and a Chinese JET. fun!

-There is apparently a fairly bad cow smell which accompanies my rural placement, but I think I can handle it. I lived in Montana, after all. :P

-Okinawa is more laid back than the rest of Japan; the southern section of Okinawa (including Yaese) is more laid back than the rest of Okinawa; I've got it good. :)

-I am more excited and terrified than ever. This is real!

Nineteen days left!


The preparation process continues to be extensive. Most of my stuff is packed (I had to bring it with me from Idaho, for the most part), but I have a significant list of items still to be purchased. Like more socks (I won't be wearing shoes in the classroom) and sunscreen.

We also had training last weekend, which I loved. I met some of my fellow JETs and learned a lot about the program. This both alleviated some fear and added many more worries. Overall, though, it was a great experience. 17 hours, 2 days, 1 small room, lots of laughs.

I have practiced shopping a few times. I love to go to Uwajimaya and other smaller grocery stores in the International District and try to figure out what I will be eating in Japan. I am sure I will have access to more western food (especially since I will be so close to military bases), but I want to be able to shop authentically. :) My favorite so far is produce. I love asian fruit!

I've also been eating a lot of sushi... but that is just for fun. :) Oh, and my chopstick use is getting better!

Well, I think I need a full night of sleep, so I will close this update here. More blogs to come, I am sure, if my life ever allows it! Thanks for reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. DON'T LEAVE!!!!! D:

    *wrestles with self*

    Ok, my selfishness aside, I'm so excited for you--and a little sad for me--but I can't believe it's almost here!

    ReplyDelete