Monday, June 14, 2010

Five Things That Have Made Me Giddily Happy Recently

They say that culture shock comes in waves,
or hills and valleys,
or crests and troughs.

However you put it, I've definitely been on more of a downward trend lately, so I am working to turn it around. Sure I am dissapointed that I won't get to take a trip home this summer, and I am starting to feel the isolation of this life a little more strongly than usual, but I've decided to keep on plugging along here and focus on all the major blessings in my life.

So, in the spirit of thinking positively, here are Five Things That Have Made Me Giddily Happy Recently.

1. Air conditioning in the teacher's room and my main classroom. Now I can use my fan for more productive purposes...

















Arr! I am the Disheveled Office Pirate!

2. Sashimi! An Yang took me to this excellent fish shop next to our school where this pushy old lady chops up the fish fresh in front of you. I brought home this beautiful, delicious sashimi for only 500 yen (about $5).


3. Kento's. I returned to my favorite oldies bar for more good food and ginger ales and to celebrate my beautiful friend, Julie K., on her birthday!














4. Smoothies. A few of my friends--Michelle, Sarra, and Melody--have inspired me with their smoothie adventures, so I've broken out the blender three nights in a row. The fruit boost really, really helps keep me in good spirits when it is pouring down rain for days on end. Plus, it is an easy, light meal on a muggy day. On days when it is both rainy and muggy? Perfection.

Weather: defeated!

5. Cafe Restaurant and Bar Double Decker
I am a sucker for themed restaurants. Especially when they go the extra mile. :) This place is a definite win.

3 comments:

  1. oh you. thank you for being my reminder to stay positive in spite of all the things you mentioned in your preamble, which i often feel as well. your next list should DEFINITELY include SALSA!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i'm loving the bird of paradise and your new blog layout

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally right, Kate! Salsa BELONGS on this list! If only I had pictures to go with it... this friday?? :D

    ReplyDelete